Re: Why flip RET and C-j with electric-indent-mode?

From: jfbu
Subject: Re: Why flip RET and C-j with electric-indent-mode?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 10:34:20 +0100

28/11/2014 23:56, Bob Proulx wrote :
So why did emacs flip RET and C-j with electric-indent-mode?  It has
always been that typing RET in fundamental mode would insert a
newline.  C-j would insert a newline and indent.  This is now broken
in emacs24.4 and later.  Now those two actions are reversed!
Aaarrrgghh!

Thanks so much Bob! ever since I upgraded my Emacs (a build for Mac OS X)
I was terribly annoyed by strange indentation behavior whenever
typing RET for example when editing commented parts in my custom file,
and I settled on doing C-qC-j -- didn't know about C-j by the way.

All this mystery vanishes after turning off electric-indent-mode!

I am not competent to say if the change was well grounded or not,
but it is very nice to know what I observed in disarray is explained
by electric-mode setting.

thanks again,
Jean-Francois