Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 01:06:15 +0100

There is a detail with Emacs that I don't like, so I
have decided to fork Emacs. I'll call the new project
emh4xs and you can read more on my - ...

Well, if you didn't fall for that, or thought it was a
lame joke, here is an even lamer drama just around the
corner:

On gwene.org.slashdot.linux -

    Archived-at:

<http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdotLinux/~3/uWE0emOUOd4/story01.htm>

- I just read this:

    The so called "Veteran Unix Admin" collective has
    announced that the fork of Debian will proceed as
    a result of the recent systemd controversy. The
    reasons put forward are not just technical;
    included is a letter of endorsement by Debian
    Developer Roger Leigh mentioning that "people rely
    on Debian for their jobs and businesses, their
    research and their hobbies. It's not a playground
    for such radical experimentation." The fork is
    called "Devuan," pronounced "DevOne." The official
    website has more information.

init is, I think, a remnant of AT&T's UNIX System V.
init has been around on Unix systems a long time,
including Linux systems. init is functional but very
heavy-handed and hackish in style - for example,
running system userspace startup (and exit) processes
- and in what order - relies on the file*names* of
scripts!

For this reason Debian and many others opted for
systemd(1) as a so called "service manager"
replacement for init. The Ubuntu project had their own
competitor going on, but they dropped it when Debian
went for systemd. (Ubuntu itself a Debian fork.)

systemd is more modern (I think, in the future, it'll
be even more modern), and it isn't that hard to
operate -- though I think it could be even simpler, as
it is basically the matter of lunching a bunch of
processes.

So because of some child-diseases and other obstacles
that were to be expected, there has been a constant
ruckus and never-ending hullabaloo where many people -
including those that should probably focus on their
stuff - have expressed dislike in unpleasant ways.

And now, classy old Debian has forked again!

I'd like to bring this to everyone's attention,
because in this nonsense hundreds and thousands of man
hours have been wasted over what should amount to
nothing. (Luckily it didn't take me that long to write

The old Emacs pros sometimes like to say you shouldn't
spend too much time configuring Emacs, you shouldn't
get stuck in that, it is ultimately impractical, etc.
- well, OK, you shouldn't! But people like to be
creative and hack their stuff, it is a fact, and at
least our way is one million times better than the
sweet idiocy of the Linux fork-mania.

It is simple: Don't fork - program.

--
underground experts united