Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:41:12 +0100

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Exactly. Not the same (but similar) with (La)TeX; we
> TeX users are so accustomed to running TeX aagain and
> again on a file that we may subconsciously treat it as
> an interactive process;-).

Yes, recompilation of huge documents for small
changes isn't fun, especially when it has to be done
all over to get references, index, stuff like that.

Here is my makefile for my latest document:

name = report
texc = xelatex
texf = -halt-on-error

${name}.pdf: ${name}.tex ${name}.bib
        $(texc) $(texf) ${name}.tex
        makeindex ${name}.idx 2> /dev/null
        biber ${name} > /dev/null
        $(texc) $(texf) ${name}.tex > /dev/null

clean:
        zsh -c 'rm -rf in missfont.log
${name}.(aux|bbl|bcf|bib.blg|blg|log|run.xml|toc|pdf|out|idx|ilg|ind)'

As you see, two compilation. Imagine that when you
just fix a typo.

> Shameless plug: http://mbork.pl . Quite some (La)TeX
> stuff, and mainly Emacs stuff lately (postings on
> average once a week, usually Saturdays). Some of
> that in Polish, but I switched to almost exclusively
> posting in English. (Sadly, this switch temporarily
> eliminated one of my favourite topics where I have
> no enough knowledge of English vocabulary; will work
> on that.)

Some things that are not computers I write of as if
they were. I first thought people would think it a
strange style but on the contrary they appreciate it
so I definitely think all this computer reading and
writing benefited my skills in doing the same for
other topics as well.

For computers, doing it in my native language isn't
exactly a problem but I prefer English. Just so much
more practice and otherwise I would have to either use
English words all the time or make up uncomfortable
translations. It is in some ways an unlucky state but
it is a reality.

But a good book (or article, speech, etc.) in any
language (that you understand) is always better than a
poor one in your prefered language.

> In theory, yes. In practice, this is more difficult.
> I mean, Emacs on Ubuntu should be as simple as sudo
> apt-get install emacs; but then, in most points in
> time, this got you an ancient version. The same with
> TeX, and other things. So step by step you install
> more and more things manually, and then why not get
> Gentoo?

If that is so I see why you didn't like Ubuntu. No,
Debian can be used year-out year-in only using
aptitude and the associated tools. Nothing manual. I
think Ubuntu should be the same so either you were
unlucky or it isn't, but Ubuntu is aptitude (or
apt-get) based too, as you know.

> Yes, I even used some of them for some time. My goal
> is to set up a decent tiling WM (preferably StumpWM,
> maybe Awesome), so I'm not really interested in this
> KDE/Gnome/Unity/whatever dispute. (The main goal is
> to have Emacs occupy the whole screen, without these
> stupid decorations, and get rid of the
> mouse/touchpad. I hardly ever use anything but
> Emacs, a terminal, Evince and Firefox or Chrome
> anyway.)

To have Emacs occupy the whole screen is easy. You can
put it in the Linux VTs as I do but probably you want
it in X. That's easy too. With a window manager you
can have it in a terminal emulator (xterm for example)
and then have the xterm window maximized with
-fullscreen, and then have it all automatized in
~/.xinitrc and additionally configured in
~/.Xresources, e.g.

! xterm
xterm*autoWrap:        true
xterm*faceName:        xft:bitstram vera sans mono:size=15:antialias=true
xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

!! xterm colors
! normal
xterm*color0:  #000000 // black
xterm*color1:  #B40000 // red
etc.

If what you want is fullscreen Emacs, that goal is
attainable :)

--
underground experts united