Emacs beginner, Meta-a and Meta-e not working in all files.

From: scottfrancis87
Subject: Emacs beginner, Meta-a and Meta-e not working in all files.
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 11:58:09 -0800 (PST)

Very new Emacs user here. I have just been going through the tutorial trying to
get familiar with the important key combos and one in particular is causing me
an issue. It seems that the Meta-a and Meta-e does not want to always work. In
the tutorial I works like intended, going to the beginning and end of sentence
respectively. But when I made a new file and typed out a couple paragraphs to
practice moving around in my own file, using those combos will just move me
from the beginning and end of the paragraph. I am on windows using emacs in the
command prompt and with two buffers up in the window it works fine in the
tutorial but not my file. Anyone know what's going on here, I would appreciate
the help!

Scott