Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism

From: Raffaele Ricciardi
Subject: Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 15:50:36 +0100

On 30/11/14 01:06, Emanuel Berg wrote:
The old Emacs pros sometimes like to say you shouldn't
spend too much time configuring Emacs, you shouldn't
get stuck in that, it is ultimately impractical, etc.

The problem is that old Emacs pros don't explain the Emacs work-flow to novices and therefore novices are left to "connect the dots" on their own. When novices fail to connect some dots, they resort to configure Emacs to achieve some goals in a way that they know. Moreover, in my experience, vanilla Emacs lacks many convenient commands (or at least some efficient key bindings for available convenient commands) and some standard commands feel counterintuitive. I understand that this is for historical reasons, and I am not complaining about it, but nonetheless this is the way it is. Hence the need to spend much time configuring Emacs.