Re: Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Ways to use Emacs when programming C++ with Visual Studio?
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:50:02 +0000

Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:
> On 11/25/2014 6:40 PM, Mike wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for letting me know about autorevert.
>>

> Besides autorevert, there's also M-x revert-buffer, which does it manually.
>
>> So I'd make the changes in Emacs, then I would close every file
>> window in VS, save all the files open in Emacs, then tell VS to
>> rebuild everything! Not really much fun,
>
> Tools - Options - Documents - Detect when file is changed outside the
> environment - auto-load changes if saved.
>
> I assume that Microsoft added that option so their developers could use
> emacs.  :-)

Many years ago when I used Microsoft Visual Studio I used the same
procedure.  I did my editing in Emacs and used auto-revert mode.  I had
VS setup to revert periodically too.

I found it best to avoid global-auto-revert-mode and setup auto-revert
mode only for the relevant modes (C++ in my case).

Something to watch out for here is that Emacs believes that .h files are
C files not C++.  Microsoft don't use the .hpp file extension.  If you
use VS a lot it's best to make .h files automatically choose C++ mode.

I don't have any code for this unfortunately, I deleted it from my
.emacs years ago when I stopped using VS.

BR,
Robert Thorpe