self-insert-command source code?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: self-insert-command source code?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 22:58:47 +0100

To my disappointment, I've just found out that self-insert-command is
written in C and not in Elisp.  I don't speak C very well (and don't
have the sources for Emacs installed (yet)), so could anyone shed some
light on these two questions (just in some spare time – it's not that I
/need/ it now).

1. Why is that so?  Since this is an interactive function, performance
should not be the issue.

2. What it might look like /if/ it was written in Elisp?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University