emacs vhdl-mode

From: Sebastian Schueppel
Subject: emacs vhdl-mode
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 05:03:13 +0000

Hi,
after I failed to reach the maintainer of the vhdl-mode Reto Zimmerman, I
thought I might share this information just here. His email 'reto@gnu.org'
comes back with 'Mail delivery failed' Error.
---
I have set up a vhdl-project. The project has about 400 vhdl files. I do get
the list of files out of our make flow and then convert them to relative paths
in respect to the default-directory.
With an unmodified vhdl-mode.el the scanning (from the speedbar) of the project
and all of its ~400 files takes >5min and 100% CPU.Therefore renders the emacs
unusable for that time.

I ran a profiler over the elisp and I ended up commenting out the following
line in the vhdl-mode.el:
(setq dir-list-tmp (vhdl-resolve-paths dir-list-tmp))
in the function vhdl-scan-project-contents
Since i don't have any wildcards in the paths of my sources this has no harm
for me.

This speeds up the process of scanning the project significantly (total time
~15sec).

Hope this helps someone. Or might see an improvement in future versions.
---
Sebastian