Re: The euro symbol in emacs

From: Guido Van Hoecke
Subject: Re: The euro symbol in emacs
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 13:26:32 +0100

Joost,

You solved my problem.

On 5 December 2014 at 11:21, Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
> > This sounds like the way to go, but it doen't seem to work. Tried the
> > minibuffer-local-map as well as all other minibuffer-*-map maps that are
> > listed when completing F1 v minibuffer-
> >
> > Well, I'll stick with C-X 8 RET 20AC for now...
>
> IMHO you're going about this the wrong way. What you should probably be
> using is an input method (see the Emacs manual for details). If you set
> (or customize) the variable `default-input-method' to something like
> "latin-9-prefix", you can use C-\ to toggle the input method and then
> type the Euro symbol with the sequence «~e» (without the guillemets, of
> course). This also works in the minibuffer, to the extent it makes sense
> (e.g., in isearch-(for|back)ward, etc. The isearch prompt ever tells you
> that an input method is active.) The latin-9-prefix input method also
> allows you to type other characters, such as ë, é, è, ï, ç, etc.
>
> Another method is to configure your keyboard layout in such a way that
> you can type the Euro symbol by using some modifier key. AFAIK in
> Windows and OS X this is already configured, though you'll need to find
> out which key combo to use. On Window, I think it's AltGr+2 or AltGr+e,
> on OS X ⌥⇧2 (option-shift-2). On Linux, you may need to configure it
> yourself, or it may already be set up, depending on your distro / window
> manager.

I used the free Ukelele app [1] to remap my rarely used ± key to emit € and
my problem is solved.

And as you pointed out, this solution works everywhere.

Thank you, and all other people that have been helping in this thread.

Guido

​[1] http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=ukelele​