Re: XKCD/541 compliance, anyone?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: XKCD/541 compliance, anyone?
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 00:48:06 +0100

On 2014-12-06, at 00:41, Artur Malabarba wrote:

>> I decided to try this out manually.  I put this into my buffer:
>>
>> \emph{Hello world! ;-)}
>>
>> changed the mode to LaTeX-mode (from AUCTeX), put the point at the ")"
>> character, and did
>>
>> M-: (put-text-property (point) (1+ (point)) 'syntax-table '(1))
>>
>> After inspection by C-u C-x =, it turned out that nothing like a
>> "syntax-table" property got its way into the buffer.
>>
>> Strangeness: if I change the name of the property to, e.g., my-prop,
>> putting (and getting) the property value works as expected.
>>

> Try that again with font-lock-mode disabled.
> Major modes can specify other text properties (besides 'face) for
> font-lock-mode to set and reset. It's possible AucTex has font-lock-mode
> resetting the' syntax-table property.

Thank.  You.  So.  Much, Sir!  Now it works (the manual fiddling, that
is).

I assume that if (=when) I hook into `syntax-propertize-function', it
will work, too.  (I hope so at least!)  It's 00:46 (AM) here in Poland
and I have still more than an hour of work before I go to sleep, so I
will not try that out today, but I will definitely investigate this (and
post about it if it works).

Thanks again!

--
Marcin Borkowski