Re: Choosing interactively from a list

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Choosing interactively from a list
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 19:33:08 -0800

Hi,

Florian v. Savigny <florian@fsavigny.de> wrote:
> I have a list, say ("A" "B" "C" "D" ... "Z" "a" "b" "c" "d"
> ... "z"). I also have an index, say 13. I would like to choose an item
> from this list in the minibuffer, and be able to go forward and
> backwards in this list, starting from the index, i.e. here, 13.

I don't know a way off-hand to do that without constructing a modified
version of the list (though I won't be surprised if someone chimes in
with one).

As an alternative, does this do something like what you're looking for?

    (defun rotate-to-index (list index)
      (append (cl-subseq list index)
              (cl-subseq list 0 index)))

    (defun choose-from-list-cmplr (list &optional index)
      (completing-read "Choose: "
                       (if index (rotate-to-index list index) list)
                       nil
                       t))

--
john