Re: Campaign for Tablet which runs Emacs closes soon

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Campaign for Tablet which runs Emacs closes soon
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 19:20:38 +0100

On 2014-12-09, at 18:00, J. David Boyd wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> On 2014-12-05, at 18:50, J. David Boyd wrote:
>>
>>> Don't really see the point of Emacs on a tablet.  Without a keyboard it
>>> would
>>> feel useless to me, as a virtual keyboard is never going to be good enough.
>>
>> 1. Orgmode.
>>
>> 2. Never?  Seriously?  For the next 20-30 years, maybe. ;-)
>>
>> 3. Imagine that in Emacs 27 (for instance), you will be able to bind
>> commands not only to keys and clicks etc., but also to swipes, pinches,
>> gestures etc.  Then, why not?
>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> Best,
>

> I don't do things like that now with my mouse and different browsers that
> support it.  I yank my hands around too much to have them be initiating
> commands.
>
> But I do see your point.

Thanks.

Notice that in the traditional setting, you have the keyboard /and/ the
mouse, so if you want to use the mouse, you have to move your hands a
lot (=ineffective).  On a tablet, you only have the touchscreen, so it's
much more natural to use these gestures.

In general, tablets seem to be good when you /consume/ information, not
/produce/ it.  But Emacs is useful at that, too.

(That said, I neither own nor use a tablet myself.)

> Dave

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski