Re: xmodmap keybinding for god-mode

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: Re: xmodmap keybinding for god-mode
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 11:07:13 -0800

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday, December 13, 2014 12:35:24 AM UTC+5:30, Steven Arntson wrote:
>> This question is more about xmodmap than god-mode, but ...
>>
>> I'm starting to use god-mode and really enjoying it. There are some
>> directions on the maintainer's website about remapping esc to caps_lock,
>> for easier toggling of the mode, by writing a .xmodmap file, viz:
>>
>> | remove Lock = Caps_Lock
>> | keysym Caps_Lock = Escape
>>
>> I saved that to my ~/ and then from eshell I ran:
>>
>> | xmodmap .xmodmap
>>
>> And everything worked as it should. However, it doesn't keep working
>> that way. The rebinding turns itself off if the computer goes to sleep
>> for awhile, or if I restart. Is there a way to make that rebinding
>> permanent?  I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and Emacs 24.4.1.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Steven
>
> xmodmap is considered obsolete (or at least obsolescent)
>
> setxkbmap is more current.
>
> However more window-manager specific stuff is probably best
> Does this help?
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MovingTheCtrlKey

Emacswiki can be frustrating when there are so many outdated comments (I
see my current xmodmap approach there, for instance). However, you led
me in the right direction! I ran into some instructions on askubuntu.com
that directed me to enter this:

| dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/input-sources/xkb-options
| "['caps:escape']"

And it seems to have worked perfectly. Here's the whole thread, for
anyone interested:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/363346/how-to-permanently-switch-caps-lock-and-esc

I'll post this to the god-mode maintainer's page also, in case it's
useful there.

Best!
steven