Re: pirate bay, w3m, and the interface is just an interface (BEST post e

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pirate bay, w3m, and the interface is just an interface (BEST post ever)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 17:08:12 -0500

> for example, one might reject with ease the paternalistic law requiring
> one to wear a seat-belt, but then become irate at the driver who runs a
> red light.

There is no contradiction here, as long as one does not get irate when
someone else doesn't wear a seat-belt.

> This of course collides with a contradiction as the overarching rule for
> any of this whole humanity project to work is that we all follow the
> rules (thank you Kant) and, given the veil of ignorance (thank you
> Rawls) we all want that others do the same.

But there's also the question of which rules we should follow.
And given that we can't all agree on that, there is necessarily some
laws which we'll only abide to grudgingly, and the dual is that there
are also rules which aren't law but which one considers that everyone
should follow.

        Stefan