Re: How to get the connected forms of Syriac letters?

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: How to get the connected forms of Syriac letters?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 23:38:45 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> > But why did you need to mention TATWEEL and ZWJ there?  (And if ZWJ is
>> > needed, then why not ZWNJ as well?)

> But how is this related to the Syriac script?

Ah, I'm sorry, I thought that was understood.

Syriac (and Mandaic) are similar to Arabic script in type, i.e. cursive
scripts where characters adapt according to context ("shaping").  They
re-use the TATWEEL for justification, and also ZWJ and ZWNJ to force or
prevent shaping.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac_script> and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaic_script>.

Syriac script is supported by fonts, by libm17n and by Uniscribe.
Support for Mandaic script is just starting, although it has been in
Unicode for some years.