compilation (?) has help loose track where functions are if in separate

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: compilation (?) has help loose track where functions are if in separate dirs
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 04:38:21 +0100

I have been compiling all my Elisp for some time with
this Makefile:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/Makefile

After that, I've had the situation that
`describe-function' and the like couldn't hyperlink to
the source anymore, so I thought, "Well, hell, the
Lord gives, and the Lord takes", but then I thought of
all other code which is surely compiled and still
hyperlinked, and I thought perhaps the .el and the
.elc file must be in the same dirs for this to work?

If you examine my Makefile, you'll see that I put the
.elc files in a 'compile' dir, while the source
remained in the parent dir.

Here is how the non-hyperlinked help looks - not as
useful, by far.

    did is an interactive compiled Lisp function.

    (did WHAT)

    Not documented.

If my theory is correct, I don't even have a good
solution because Emacs has no control what people put
in their Makefiles.

Perhaps the help should offer a note under certain
circumstances to enlight the user why it is without a
reference?

--
underground experts united