Re: [OT] reading recommendations?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [OT] reading recommendations?
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 19:43:10 +0100

> I'm asking here because I think Emacs (and Vim) are
> perfect examples of "tools" which are "used", as
> opposed to "machines" which are "operated". They
> extend the boundaries of the self, and their usage
> is in a way more physical than mental.

I agree Emacs is very much physical once you get to
know it. The configurations I am the most proud of are
those that draw on that. For example, scrolling - I
scroll one line at a time, up and down with M-i and
M-k. This is because my left thumb... ah, I think you
understand: it has to do with finger positions for
typing, and i being directly above k on the keyboard,
of course.

Yes, it is physical more than mental (ha, "mental" use
of an editor - is that Professor X controlling it with
telepathy?) but it is mental as well, which is
physical, which is... Remember the words of Hegel the
Wise: "The body is a brain, and the brain is part of
the body."

If there is a distinction, it is: all basic, every-day
stuff should be very easy to do. Easy and *fast*.
Because if it is, you don't have to think about it *at
all*. That means, you can think about what isn't
basic, every-day, but what is difficult, and requires
a creative solution.

So when your mind feels good, and you want to do fun
things, be sure not to waste that feeling and
motivation to look for files, reboot the computer,
etc., because you don't have to do that for much time
before all that good karma is gone. So have everything
arranged, always. "Care of kit", as they call it in
the UK army (the best in the world?).

Remember the best muay Thai warriors master kicking by
throwing 1000 kicks every day. And the best hockey
players in the NHL - contrary to the "highlights" they
play again and again at burger shops - the best
players are those who do the basic things the best, at
the right times, and with the most confidence. All
that fancy stuff is great fun, but it isn't what makes
them great as hockey players.

If you do basic stuff all day long, the advanced stuff
- the shamanism if you will, or "highlight" stuff -
that will just appear when you need it. And you will
be surprised: Hey, I never practiced *that*! Indeed,
not that you didn't...

> I would like to read anything by any smart person
> who has thought deeply about this question.

I have thought about this, but not deeply I would say,
because there isn't anything that deep about it. If it
is, I'm to narrow-minded to see it.

I wrote some about physical-mental ergonomics in this
document. Make a search for Emacs, GUI, and especially
the chapter "Editor looks", but it isn't deep - it is
basic, like this post.

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/about/degree/x.pdf

--
underground experts united