Re: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 08:26:23 -0500

> Elisp code to read (to learn Elisp), and someone warned about reading
> Emacs code (especially older libraries).

That's one person's opinion.

> Recently, I grepped the Emacs Lisp sources for occurences of `mapcar',
> and there is *no* consistency in e.g. using ' versus #',

Indeed.  But to a large extend, for quoted function names, the
difference between the two is a question of taste.  IOW there are
usually much bigger elephants to deal with before it's worth worrying
about such details.

> or quoted lambdas (which I hear are a no-no unless in special
> circumstances, like macros).

AFAIK there have been no quoted lambdas left in Emacs's own code for
quite a few years now.  There are still some backquoted lambdas which
should be converted to closures, admittedly (usually it's either
because converting those packages to lexical-binding is a bit more
tricky than usual, so it hasn't been done yet, or it's because the
conversion can't be done because the package is also distributed
outside Emacs and needs to work on Emacs<24).

>> Yes: I've seen something similar but I think that was
>> the typing of commands after M-x, and not the whole
>> Elisp language when typing it in a buffer.

That also works in Elisp buffers, actually: type "(g-c" and then M-TAB
and you'll be offered completion on all the
g<something>-c<something> functions.  It's not really the same as the
OP's abbrevs, tho, because there are *many* functions matching "(g-c".

        Stefan