RE: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Abbrevs for the most frequent elisp symbols
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 07:28:08 -0800 (PST)

> > The idea is trivial, so probably somebody has done something like
> > this already, but I thought I'd share it in case someone else
> > finds it useful.
>
> I guess so.  I would be quite surprised if Icicles (which I'm slowly
> learning to use and appreciate!) couldn't do this.

No, Icicles does not do anything for this by default. As Stefan
mentioned, for input to `M-x' you already get a kind of
command-name abbreviation with vanilla Emacs completion (e.g.
partial-completion).  The same holds for Icicles.

Icicles adds an ability to use custom command abbrevs (but none
are defined by default).  With this feature you can:

. treat command abbrevs the same as command names, for input
. define command abbrevs on the fly
. define a list of command abbrevs as user option
  `icicle-command-abbrev-alist'

So for example, you could customize `icicle-command-abbrev-alist'
to what the OP wants, for commands (essentially all commands).

By default, `C-x SPC' in Icicle mode is multi-command
`icicle-command-abbrev'.  It is similar to `M-x' but handles
custom command abbreviations too.  See the Icicles doc, section
"Multi `M-x' with Abbreviations: `icicle-command-abbrev'".
Doc string:

,----

`----