Re: How do I make windows emacs display PNG and JPEG images?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How do I make windows emacs display PNG and JPEG images?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 17:52:53 +0200

> From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 08:47:37 +0100

> > You should put _all_ the files in bin/ that you find in the *.zip
> > files, not just select DLLs.
>
> Ok.  I added the config files of libpng as well, but it didn't make any
> difference.

I didn't think it will.

> Why do the .exe files need to be copied. Are the .exe files loaded and
> code in them executed? Or is the DLLs' location used to find the .exe
> files to execute in a separate process?

Neither.  And in this case, the non-DLL files in bin/ are not needed.

But in general, you are advised to unzip the entire *-bin.zip archive
and keep all of it, because some packages come with data files and
additional bits and pieces that are needed for flawless operation.

The *-bin.zip files include everything that "make install" installs,
so if you omit some files, you in effect have an incomplete
installation.  If you are familiar with the package internals and know
what you are doing, feel free to remove what you think is
unnecessary.  Otherwise, my recommendation is to keep all of it.  It
is safer.

> > What are the versions of the libraries against which the Emacs binary
> > was built?  Look at the values of the variables libpng-version and
> > libjpeg-version: do they match the versions of the DLLs you installed?
>
> libpng-version's value is 10403
> No match for libjpeg-version.

Right, that's the problem.  You need libpng14-14.dll or libpng14.dll
for PNG, and jpeg62.dll for JPEG.  See w32-win.el for the full list.

> Sysinternals sigcheck couldn't find any version number in the DLLs (see below)

It's not recorded there, it's recorded in the name of the DLL.

> > (There's some explanation of this near line 200 of w32-win.el.)
>
> No w32-win.el in the lisp directory.
>
> locate-library says:
>  No library w32-win in search path
>  No library w32-win.el in search path

It's in lisp/term/, where all the *-win.el files are kept.  Or maybe
you have a compressed w32-win.el.gz there.