Re: Boldface typing

From: twlllmxxx
Subject: Re: Boldface typing
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:51:44 -0700

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 20:55:13 -0800 (PST), Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 9:59:31 AM UTC+5:30, Pascal J. Bourguignon
>wrote:
>> twlllmxxx  writes:
>>
>> > Just learning emacs. Editing text,
>>
>> Ok.  So what is a text file?
>>

>> > I want to type a word in boldface
>> > and then go back to default. So I use M-o b and type in boldface, then
>> > M-o d and continue typing. It looks right: one word in boldface and
>> > the rest in default. Then I save the file. Then I re-open it, and the
>> > boldface is gone. Maybe I made a mistake. I repeat the editing, save
>> > the file, and then re-open it. Again the boldface is gone. Any ideas?
>> >
>> > I'm working from Learning GNU Emacs by Cameron et al., O'Reilly.
>> >
>> > This is GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600).
>>

>> Use M-x enriched-mode RET first.  Then you will save not a text file,
>> but an enriched-text file.
>
>If what you need is a word processor you should use that -- eg libreoffice,
>MSWord etc
>
>emacs does a rather poor job of word processing
>
>The solution in the emacs/unix world 20 years ago was latex/groff etc -- ie
>document processors
>
>Today the goto-solution for this (and 1000 other things) in emacs-land is org
>mode.
>It does have a long learning curve though...

Thanks, Rusi.  Good suggestion.  I've been using MSWord, but hating it
for being top-heavy with bells and whistles that I don't use.  I also
use Notepad for its simplicity.  If I could add a bell and maybe 1 1/2
whistles to Notepad I'd be happy.  It's the fabled extensibility of
emacs that drew me to it.  Notepad with hooks, that's what I want.

Besides, I'm retired and this looks like a fun project.