Re: Why do we need a number of different terminal modes in Emacs?

From: Andrey Lisin
Subject: Re: Why do we need a number of different terminal modes in Emacs?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 17:10:55 +0600

It's perfectly fine to have different things for different tasks. The
question is what is the *real* reason to have a few different terminal
modes? And it has nothing to do with standards. Right now, for example,
I use shell for tasks on my local machine, but I need to run term each
time I want SSH somewhere.

And if you want me to write "one terminal to rule them all", I'd rather
fix this strange shell or eshell behavior. But it's very strange nobody
did it before. I think there could be some good reasons for that. Am I
the only person find it weird?