Exception code: 0xc0000006 after waking computer from sleep

From: BobD
Subject: Exception code: 0xc0000006 after waking computer from sleep
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 11:06:09 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone else seen Emacs crash after awakening a sleeping Windows machine?

Using emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)  of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Computer is an HP Pavilion P7-1370 desktop

Emacs executables are on an external USB3 disk, connected to the computer
through a USB3 hub.
Microsoft Outlook files and Thunderbird files are on the same external disk.

When I wake the computer from sleep, after a few seconds or maybe a minute of
use, Emacs crashes.
Outlook and Thunderbird forget where their files are.

As it awakens, the system sends the downbeat/upbeat tones to the speakers,
acting as if it thinks the external disk has been unplugged and re-plugged.
Also, if I click on the tray icon for "Safely Remove hardware", I can see the
external disk's entry, but with no device letter.  After a few seconds, the
entry shows the device letter.

The system acts as if the sleeping computer virtually unplugs the external
disk, and is slow to find it upon awakening.
And then Outlook and Thunderbird, after trying to use the disk too soon, decide
the disk is gone.

Below is Event Viewer's report for the Emacs crash.

Faulting application name: emacs.exe, version: 24.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x51461ed8
Faulting module name: emacs.exe, version: 24.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x51461ed8
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x0004a758
Faulting process id: 0xce0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d03eefc7d872c2
Faulting application path: Q:\barn\Applications\emacs\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
Faulting module path: Q:\barn\Applications\emacs\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
Report Id: 74d9be80-ab0a-11e4-a804-24be05184e86