AUCTeX PDF2DSC error on preview

From: Ben Weinstein-Raun
Subject: AUCTeX PDF2DSC error on preview
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 10:35:52 -0800 (PST)

I normally use OS X, and have recently decided to start using Emacs, and
specifically AUCTeX based on myriad recommendations. I downloaded the current
version for OS X and tried to preview a very simple document:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
$e^x=10$
\end{document}

I initially got the usual PATH-based errors that one seems to get on OS X, but
on correcting those I got an error that didn't seem to be caused by the PATH:

PDF2DSC sentinel: Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

I switched over to the Linux side of my laptop (Arch Linux), installed Emacs
24.4.1 and the current version of AUCTeX (11.88.2), only to discover that the
issue had followed me across partitions :P

I have TeXlive installed, and Emacs seems to have the right PATH set in both OS
X and Linux. I only found one other mention of this problem online
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex/2014-12/msg00020.html), and there's
no resolution to the issue.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Probably the more important question, for the long term, is "Where should I
have asked this question?"

--
Ben Weinstein-Raun