Re: using "variables" (correct term?)

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: Re: using "variables" (correct term?)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 11:01:29 -0800

Andreas Politz <politza@hochschule-trier.de> writes:

> Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to send out some form letters to various people, and am
>> looking for a way to define something at the top, like:
>>
>>      #+RECIPIENT: Jane Doe
>>
>> which would automatically replace itself in the letter when referenced
>
> I think this would rather be called a macro, since a variable denotes a
> place in memory.
>
> -ap

Searching on "emacs macros" leads me to information on the kind
of macro you "record" with `C-x (' in order to reproduce a series of
keystrokes.

For the moment, I'm looking into Auctex as perhaps a way of leveraging
Latex for this. I've always avoided Latex because of its learning
curve, but perhaps this will be the thing that finally propels me!

-steven