Re: How to build emacs? (2015-02 Fedora)

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: How to build emacs? (2015-02 Fedora)
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 13:07:19 +1100

Tory S. Anderson writes:

I'm embarrassed to have to ask this, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to build emacs. I decided to do this because the version I get from my distro is: GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9) of 2014-09-30 on buildvm-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org

and lately when I try to install packages from ELPA I receive errors about not having emacs 24.4; ergo sum, I'm trying to get the latest and greatest. But I followed these steps:

1. Get relevant links from https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs 2. Run git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

And this is where progress ends. I try to follow the INSTALL instructions, but they simply don't make sense:

If you just want 24.4 (which is the current stable release), rather than working with a bleeding-edge and unstable version, i would recommend not cloning the repo, but simply downloading the source of the official release:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Obtaining

Once you unpack the archive, you can then:

$ cd [directory you unpacked the archive into]
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

Note that there might well be a whole lot of dev packages you'll need to install; the output of `configure` will assist you in telling you what is required in this regard.

Alexis.