RE: I'd like to marry while and mapcar...

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: RE: I'd like to marry while and mapcar...
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 13:44:29 +0000

There are already a few small programming paradigms for such things.

(dolist (VAR LIST [RESULT]) BODY...) might do the right kind of thing for you,
but it never feels lisp-ish to me. And on a long list you might not get the
efficiency you expect.

(while (and magic-condition the-list) ... (setq the-list (cdr the-list)) seems
closer.

(throw) and (catch) provide another style:
(catch 'foo
  (mapcar (lambda (e)
             (if (not (magic-test e))
                (throw 'foo t)))))

I hope this helps.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

The human brain is the most complex thing known to man, according to the human
brain.