Re: Building emacs errors: libraries present

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: Building emacs errors: libraries present
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 10:25:38 -0800

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 07:47:57 -0500, in message 87twyzurya.fsf@gmail.com,
Tory S. Anderson wrote:

> Okay; I'm making progress. I have identical problems with both 24.4
> and 25.0.5 build processes now. LibPNG is being found! But the gif
> library is not. In summary, I get NO configure errors (as long as I
> do sudo configure), but I get the following make error (even with
> sudo make, which I know is probably a dangerous command):
>
>     ./temacs: error while loading shared libraries: libgif.so.7:
>
> But a find locates it just fine:
>
>     $ sudo find / -name "libgif.so.7"
>     /usr/local/lib/libgif.so.7
>
> Indeed, configure apparently found it, right?
>
> Unabridged config and make outputs for those interested:
>
> http://www.toryanderson.com/files/emacs-configure-output.txt
> http://www.toryanderson.com/files/emacs-make-output.txt
>
> Any ideas why it can't find libgif?

I built Emacs 24.4.1 on my 64-bit Fedora 19 box with no trouble at
all.  Here's what I've got for PNG and GIF libraries:

    $ yum list installed \*png*\ \*gif\*
        <blather deleted>
    libpng.x86_64                 2:1.5.13-3.fc19                   @updates
    libpng-devel.x86_64           2:1.5.13-3.fc19                   @updates
    giflib.x86_64                 4.1.6-7.fc19                      @anaconda
    giflib-devel.x86_64           4.1.6-7.fc19                      @fedora

Since I'm still running F19, my packages may not be the same as
yours, though I suspect that only the version numbers will have
changed.

When I first ran configure, I didn't have the giflib-devel
package, but it wasn't hard to figure out.  After installing it,
the usual "./configure; make; sudo make install" dance worked
fine.  Note that I didn't have to run configure (or make) as root.
I've _never_ had to do that.  If you do, there's something amiss,
probably in your system library installation.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"Come, muse, let us sing of rats."  -- James Grainger