Re: Is there any way to open a file whose name is written in another fil

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is there any way to open a file whose name is written in another file?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 23:43:43 +0100

xiongjieyi@gmail.com writes:

> Is there any way to open a file whose name is
> written in another file? For example, I want to open
> file A in emacs. The path and name of file A is
> recorded in file B. The filename of file B is fixed,
> but file A is changeable. So I hope emacs can read
> the path&name of file A in file B first, and open
> file A.

Try this:

    (progn
      (find-file "b.txt")
      (goto-char 0)
      (find-file (thing-at-point 'filename)) )

If you want to do something similar interactively, try
this:

    (defun find-file-at-line (&optional other-window)
      (interactive "P")
      (let ((possible-filename (thing-at-point 'filename))
            (find-f (if other-window 'find-file-other-window 'find-file)) )
        (if (and possible-filename (file-exists-p possible-filename))
              (apply find-f (list possible-filename))
          (progn
            (forward-char 1)
            (find-file-at-line) ))))