Re: Building emacs errors: libraries present

From: Anssi Saari
Subject: Re: Building emacs errors: libraries present
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 12:09:32 +0200

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Okay; I'm making progress. I have identical problems with both 24.4
> and 25.0.5 build processes now. LibPNG is being found! But the gif
> library is not. In summary, I get NO configure errors (as long as I do
> sudo configure), but I get the following make error (even with sudo
> make, which I know is probably a dangerous command):
>
>     ./temacs: error while loading shared libraries: libgif.so.7: cannot open
>
> But a find locates it just fine:
>
>     $ sudo find / -name "libgif.so.7"
>     /usr/local/lib/libgif.so.7

Why is libgif in /usr/local? If you installed it yourself for some
reason bypassing the normal package manager then have you ever built
anything with it that works?

Does ldd temacs tell you anything interesting? You may want to check
your /etc/ld.so.conf to see where the dynamic linker looks for
libraries. /usr/local isn't always included.