Re: > 24.3 can't send mail

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: > 24.3 can't send mail
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 17:37:00 +0200

> From: torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson)
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 10:31:16 -0500
>
> I think you're on to something, Eli. I see a daunting amount on smtp changes
> in the news files. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to do next.

Did you read NEWS and did you try to do what it suggests in order to
copy your customizations to ~/.authinfo?  If not, please do, what you
have there is good advice.

> I went so far as to comment-out everything you see below and then fired up
> the new emacs (my .authinfo file still exists unchanged); upon trying to send
> mail I seemed to make progress when it asked what outgoing server I wanted,
> but after specifying smtp.gmail.com, it seemed to freeze; one C-g later and
> it gave me the same old TLS error.

Starting afresh is a good idea.  Eventually, if you cannot get it to
work starting from "emacs -Q", submit a bug report with all the
details using "M-x report-emacs-bug", and I'm sure you will get this
resolved one way or another.

> Does anyone have an example of a working smtp setup in emacs >24.3?

I do.  It does exactly what NEWS says:

  *** The variable `smtpmail-auth-credentials' has been removed.
  By default, the information is now stored in the file ~/.authinfo.
  This was the default value of smtpmail-auth-credentials.  If you had
  customized smtpmail-auth-credentials to a list of user names and
  passwords, those settings are not used.  During your first connection
  to the smtp server, Emacs will prompt for the user name and password,
  and offer to save them to ~/.authinfo.  Or you can manually copy the
  credentials to ~/.authinfo.  For example, if you had

    (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
          '(("mail.example.org" 25 "jim" "s!cret")))

  then the equivalent line in ~/.authinfo would be

    machine mail.example.org port 25 login jim password s!cret

  See the auth-source manual for more information, e.g. on encrypting
  the credentials file.

  *** The variable `smtpmail-starttls-credentials' has been removed.
  If you had that set, you need to put

    machine smtp.whatever.foo port 25 key "~/.my_smtp_tls.key" cert
"~/.my_smtp_tls.cert"

  in your ~/.authinfo file instead.