Re: zsh outside of Emacs (was: Why do we need a number of different term

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: zsh outside of Emacs (was: Why do we need a number of different terminal modes in Emacs?)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 14:13:51 +0100

Hi!

* Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:
> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
>> * Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:
>>> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>>>
>>> You can use GNU Screen and Zsh and connect to them using M-x term.  That
>>> puts them within Emacs, but Screen should make things safe from Emac's
>>> crashes.
>>
>> And what advantages would I get?
>
> You get to work inside Emacs and Screen should stop your terminals from
> getting hosed when Emacs crashes.

Sorry, I meant what advantages do I get compared to a separate
Terminal emulation running my GNU screen sessions?

I don't see much difference between Alt-TAB + XOrg-copy&paste and
C-x b + Emacs-copy&paste

>>> Have you bisected your init file?
>>
>> No.
>
> I have an MS Windows specific part of my init file and an Ubuntu specific
> part.  If you do the same then it could be a bug your Debian specific
> part.  It could also be a bug in Debian's site-start code, a lot of that
> distro site-start code is old and crufty.

OK.

>> Most issues only appear in my "GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1
>> (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2) of 2014-01-01 on gkar,
>> modified by Debian" and not in my GNU Emacs I use on Windows.
>>
>> Therefore I have the strong feeling that my Emacs backport for
>> Debian/Wheezy is the cause for some issues.
>
> What's the 50 in 24.3.50.1?  Is it a number used by Debian to do their
> versioning?

No idea.

> Or does it mean you're using an unreleased version of
> Emacs?  If it's the latter then that's probably the problem.

The package is called emacs-snapshot. Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy was
providing no Emacs 24 to me. Therefore I installed the snapshot
package.

> If not I'd try a different Emacs build.  I'm using an old version of
> XUbuntu with an Emacs from some PPA and it works fine.

Which Debian Wheezy packages from which source do you recommend?

(I will not compile anything on my own any more since I wont
handle any compile errors or missing dependencies.)

--
All in all, one of the most disturbing things today is the definitive
fact that the NSA, GCHQ, and many more government organizations are