Re: Installing emacs 24.4 on Windows 7 - function definition x-send-clie

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Installing emacs 24.4 on Windows 7 - function definition x-send-client-message is void
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 17:06:17 +0200

> From: nospam@nospam.com
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:46:15 +0100
>
> > I have installed Emacs on Windows 7, but it comes up with this
> > initialization warning. It advises to start Emacs with the
> > --debug-init option, but I am not an expert and the error trace is
> > incomprehensible. What is this about?

Your ~/.emacs file does something that Emacs cannot do, at least not n
Windows.

> > What should the definition of x-send-client-message be?

There's no such function in the Windows version of Emacs.  This
function belongs to DND (Drag-n-drop) implementation on X, but not on
Windows.  If your ~/.emacs tries to call it, you need to condition
that call on system-type not being 'windows-nt'.

> how did you install Emacs ?
>
> Can you find the executable runemacs.exe somewhere ?
>
> What happens when you run it ?

All good questions, IMO.