Re: Auctex like c++ mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Auctex like c++ mode
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 08:21:31 +0100

Glen Stark <mail@glenstark.net> writes:

> I've always thought it would be really nifty to do the same thing for
> the signature part of function definitions in c-modes.  In case I
> screwed up the vocabulary, what I mean is this:
>
> void i_want_this_big(maybe the params too, i'm easy)
> {
> /// I want the body normal
> }
>
> I also thing it would be really sexy if nested braces and parenthesis
> could be distinguished by varying face sizes.  Maybe once I saw this
> in practice I'd change my mind, but I'd like to try it out.
>
> It seems to me that this should be easy enough to do, but I don't know
> how to do it, and I haven't been able to find any instructions or
> theme or anything online... perhaps because I'm not searching for the
> right terms.

Move point on the function name, do `M-x customize-face RET'.  It'll
automatically offer `font-lock-function-name-face' which is the face
used by the text at point.  Confirm with RET and you're put in a
*Customize* buffer where you can increase the Height face attribute to,
e.g., 1.2 to make function names one fifth larger than the other text.

Parens and braces don't seem to be fontified with custom faces, so
that's not easy to change.  But you can play with customizing other
faces.  Just move point to text that's highlighted and do `M-x
customize-face', e.g., variables, types, keywords, strings, comments...

Bye,
Tassilo