Yum-like emacs package manager?

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: Yum-like emacs package manager?
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 06:33:08 -0500

Recently I've read various articles complaining about the emacs package manager
(packages.el, `list-packages') given the explosion in user contributions to
places like MELPA. Sure enough, especially with emacs traditional async
incapabilities, loading the package list and searching through it is very
cumbersome.

It seems like a natural solution would be something like apt-get, yum, and
YaST, or maybe even cpan or ctan. Clearly much of what those managers do is
unnecessary; we aren't dealing with a full OS, as much as we sometimes pretend
we are. But in particular they perform search and filtering in powerful and
relatively fast ways that would be wonderful to have in emacs.

Does anyone know if there's something along these lines in development right
now?