repeat command n times where n is stored in a buffer

From: regnad . kcin . fst
Subject: repeat command n times where n is stored in a buffer
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 16:43:05 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to write a command macro which reads the # of times for a repeat
from a buffer. I have written a set of commands which

1) reads the # from a list
2) modifies a command in file zmac.el
3) emacs-lisp-byte-compile-and-load is executed
4) go to another buffer and execute the command

However, although the command is modified in the command buffer, the # of items
does not seem to change, and I get the same # over and over, even though the
prompt in the # source buffer moves along. It's as if the command for # of
items is not global to the buffer but is local or something. I can see the
command buffer change.

If you need to see code, i can do that.

There may be an easier way to do this as well. Is it possible to execute a
command a # of times, where # is stored as a variable which I can modify?