Re: Hang on startup on OS X (GUI only)

From: Guido Van Hoecke
Subject: Re: Hang on startup on OS X (GUI only)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 22:01:36 +0100

Problem happens frequently on my Mac, using 'GNU Emacs 24.4.1
(x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
 of 2014-10-21 on builder10-9.porkrind.org' (also got it at
http://emacsformacosx.com/)

Utterly frustrated, I created a startup automator app called
killAndRestartTheGodOfEditors.app which runs following script:

sleep 60
pids=`/bin/ps -axo pid,command | grep [E]macs | awk '{ print $1 }' | tr
'\n' ' '`
if [ "no$pids" != "no" ]; then
    kill -KILL $pids
fi
/usr/bin/emacsApp &

So it basically waits a minute, kills emacs and starts it anew. This one
never hangs, go figure.

Note that /usr/bin/emacsApp just contains 'open -a Emacs.app'
I do not remember why I used (needed?) this intermediate step, but it is my
current setup.

It does not fix the problem, but by the time I've got the paper and my
first coffee, there's a responsive copy of Emacs...

Maybe it does help others to deal with the frustration of this problem.

Guido