Re: project-management

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: project-management
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:01:40 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 05:54:40 UTC, Sharon Kimble  wrote:
> I'm writing several ebooks at present, and also maintain the
> documentation of a couple of projects, all done in latex. I'm now
> finding a problem in "project management".

As others have mentioned, projectile [1] is good for a wide range of project
types, but doesn't really do "project management" as such. I mainly use it for
development projects, as it provides standardised keybindings for concepts such
as project-wide search, replace and build.

But the big thing for your particular use case, assuming you haven't already
seen it, is org-mode[2]. It is *incredible* and supports both inline and block
LaTeX. It sounds weird until you use it, but org-mode works as both a
typesetting language (typically by exporting to the more verbose LaTeX) and a
TODO organiser. I strongly recommend reading the "compact" manual to get a
flavour. It is the kitchen sink within the kitchen sink.

I've even used it with pandoc[3] (a universal document converter tool) to
produce presentations and accompanying speaker notes[4].

[1] https://github.com/bbatsov/projectile
[2] http://orgmode.org/
[3] https://github.com/jgm/pandoc
[4] http://fommil.github.io/scalax14/#/ sources at