Re: long lines distraction

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: long lines distraction
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 00:34:01 +0100

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> Has emacs got a variable I can use to prevent all of
> the dollar sign characters being spoken when lines
> beyond normal line lengths get written? I prefer to
> hear what I'm typing since it makes it easier to
> correct mistakes. My former employer had the good
> sense to pay me for my computer programming and not
> word processing.

Try this:

    (set-display-table-slot standard-display-table 0 ?\ )

In general, it might be a good idea to keep that the
dollar sign. It'll drive you crazy when compilation
says there is an error at some line and you can't find
it as it is far right of the screen. Better to use
auto-fill when typing human text and when programming,
simply keep the lines short.

But for special situations it won't hurt trying. Just
remove the line from any init file if you don't like
it, of course.

--
underground experts united