Screencast Key Display with Capslock <-> CTRL respect?

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: Screencast Key Display with Capslock <-> CTRL respect?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:09:52 -0500

I've been making screen casts for emacs and am looking into programs that
display the keys being used. I'm on Linux with KDE, which effects some of the
options. I was pretty happy with the way KeyMon works, and it was available in
the repos; but then I noticed that although it has dedicated display positions
for the CTRL key, it still registers my Capslock as a capslock stroke although
I have it bound as CTRL. This means that it doesn't properly capture any
commands normally using L-CTRL for my viewers. I'm sure there are other emacs
screen casting folks out there; do you have a suggestion for getting a key
monitor program that will properly interpret my Capslock as a CTRL? Or of
changing a setting to make that happen in KeyMon? I don't know much about
key-capturing on a system level, but apparently KeyMon is grabbing things at a
lower level than KDE.