Re: How to quit?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to quit?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 01:53:16 +0100

> Just put `(top-level)' in your init file where you
> want it to stop. Command `top-level' returns to,
> well, Emacs top-level. ;-)

Yes, that seems to do exactly what the OP wants.

> But really you will find, I think, that
> commenting-out blocks of the file is the handiest. I
> bind `C-x C-;' to `comment-region', which comments
> or (with `C-u') uncomments the region, and which
> nests and unnests such commented blocks (unlike
> `comment-dwim').

I don't like the idea of commenting out code blocks.
The code will be hard to read as code (as a comment!?)
with no font lock (or worse: the same color as the
"real" comments which are now drowned). It'll just be
bulky and in the way.

I have a better idea, and that is for the OP to split
his init file into several files all dedicated a
specific area of configuration and/or extention. The
OP mentioned 900 lines of Elisp - myself, I use
several files and very few are longer than 100 lines
(those which are often has ambitious documentation
inline which makes for a huge bulk of lines).

Besides many other advantages, in this specific
situation, one could load all the files from .emacs
(with `load-file') and then just comment out a single
line to not have a specific file loaded.

--
underground experts united