Re: ps-print cuts off footers

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: ps-print cuts off footers
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:50:57 +0000

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnu.org> writes:

> () Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>
> () Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:37:40 +0000
>
>    > Maybe some setting in the environment is the cause of the
>    > weirdness.
>
>    How can I check that?
>
> I don't know.  It was idle speculation.  Since then, i have
> looked at stampa.ps as converted to a PNG via:
>
>  gm convert stampa.ps stampa.png
>
> and i see that the "half" that is cut off from the footer is the
> *upper* half!  The footer text is clipped by the footer frame.
> So that excludes incorrect bounding box problems (due perhaps to
> improper paper size specification) in my mental model.  Also
> supporting the theory that the paper size is indeed correctly
> specified are the stampa.ps lines:
>
>  %%DocumentMedia: A4 595 842 0 () ()
>  %%PageMedia: A4
>
> (where "A4" appears).  Thus, there must be something else going
> on; paper size is a red herring...

Yes...

> Since i don't even have gv installed on this computer, it looks
> like gv cannot be at fault, either.

So it is.

> So, the only thing left is the postscript itself must be wrong.
> I see that in:
>
>  (setq ps-print-footer t
>        ps-print-footer-frame nil
>        ps-top-margin 18
>        ps-bottom-margin 14
>        ps-left-margin 12
>        ps-right-margin 0
>        ps-print-header nil
>        ps-show-n-of-n nil
>        ps-print-footer-frame nil
>        ps-footer-lines 1
>        ps-footer-offset 0)
>
> the var ‘ps-print-footer-frame’ is set to nil (twice!), yet
> stampa.ps line 217 obstinately reads:
>
>  /PrintFooterFrame   true def
>
> If you manually change the "true" to "false", then there is no
> footer frame and thus there is no footer frame clipping.  So the
> bug lies in the failure of the Emacs Lisp code to propagate the
> Emacs Lisp variable ‘ps-print-footer-frame’ to the postscript
> definition of ‘PrintFooterFrame’.  Or you could say, "one bug".
> Maybe there are others.
>
> But before you file a bug report, are you very sure that you
> evaluated the ‘(setq ...)’ form *before* generating stampa.ps?

Many thanks for your help.  But no, there's a misunderstanding, my fault.  The
above settings are not the ones used for stampa.ps.  Instead, stampa.ps had the
only setting:

 (setq ps-print-footer t)

and nothing else.  Besides, the footer is cut off - its upper half, exactly -
*also without* footer frame, i.e. with footer frame set to `nil'.

It's really a problem because I've always been largely using Emacs and ps-print
package.  Also from gv mailing list it seems to turn out the ps file to be
incorrect.  It is generated by ps-print, from whose maintainer I didn't yet get
a reply to my message.  I really don't know what to do.  What do you suggest?

Thanks indeed,

Rodolfo