Re: tramp convinient way to cut path part in minibuffer

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp convinient way to cut path part in minibuffer
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 18:21:19 +0100

Paul K <mafeuser@gmail.com> writes:

> Hallo People

Hi Paul,

> Is there any key combination to move cursor `here`, so that I could cut
> /etc/passwd and then put /var/log/messages path?

You don't need to cut /etc/passwd. If you enter two slashes "//" at the
end of the minibuffer, everything which is part of the local name on the
remote machine is ignored. Try this (given you have opened
/scp:remote.linux.box:/etc/passwd):

C-x C-f /var/log/messages

Since C-x C-f gives you the default path "/scp:remote.linux.box:/etc/"
in the minibuffer you can just start to type with "/var..." - the "/" of
"/var" adds the second slash.

Btw, three or more slashes "///" will ignore everything in the
minibuffer before them.

> regards

Best regards, Michael.