Re: Importing data from old bbdb2 to ELPA bbdb3

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: Importing data from old bbdb2 to ELPA bbdb3
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:40:18 +0100

Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> writes:

> I installed ELPA bbdb3, and of course it does not see my ~/.bbdb
> database.

This is a question of configuration AFAICS.  I have

#v+
bbdb-file is a variable defined in `bbdb.el'.
Its value is "~/.bbdb"
Original value was "~/.emacs.d/bbdb"

Documentation:
The name of the Insidious Big Brother Database file.
#v-

> I see that in ~/.emacs.d/elpa/bbdb-20140830.2031 there is a
> bbdb.el and bbdb.elc file.

These are most likely program files which are part of the bbdb program.

> Can I simply comment these files and rename my .bbdb to bbdb.el and
> move it to elpa/?

I think you better configure the variable `bbdb-file' instead.  (M-x
customize-variable bbdb-file)

> That is, is the format suited to bbdb3?

IIRC there has been a format change from bbdb2 to bbdb3.  bbdb3 can read
the bbdb2 format and converts to the bbdb3 format (again IIRC).

I recommend you to save a backup of your bbdb2-file and check if bbdb3
works for you.

Ciao,
                                          Marco
--