Re: <Multi_key> does not work anymore

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: <Multi_key> does not work anymore
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:34:01 +0100

Op Friday 6 Mar 2015 10:33 CET schreef Rusi:

> On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 11:36:03 AM UTC+5:30, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>>> Did you modify the keymap for the root user as well?
>>>
>>> If Emacs says "<Multi_key> is undefined" then it
>>> should be easy enough to solve this, just define
>>> (bind) it to do whatever you want. If you want it to
>>> be a key sequence probably you need to make it a
>>> "prefix key" as well, as in:
>>>
>>> ; step 1 - name
>>> (define-prefix-command    'C-o-prefix)
>>>
>>> ; step 2 - bind
>>> (global-set-key "\C-o"    'C-o-prefix)
>>>
>>> ; step 3 - normal usage as you would any key
>>> (global-set-key "\C-\M-j" 'scroll-left-1)
>>> ; ...
>>
>> It has nothing to do with Emacs: it is done with xmodmap, so it is
>> an X binding not an Emacs binding. This is something I defined
>> years ago (globally, so for normal user and root user) and always
>> worked. I did not change anything in .xnodmap or in .emacs. So this
>> should not be happening, but it is.
>

> Specific:
>
> May be related to this issue See thread
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gnu.emacs.help/hBA42H2chGM/2Xfa1ce2LlMJ

That solved the problem (I think, because in the thread is said it
works sometimes). But two things:
- It started happening when I upgrade my Linux version.
- For root (where I do not have this problem) XMODIFIERS is not
  defined.

So I now use:
    /usr/bin/env -u XMODIFIERS /usr/bin/emacs

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer