Re: Adding Tai Tham Script to GNU/Linux Distribution's Version of Emacs

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: Adding Tai Tham Script to GNU/Linux Distribution's Version of Emacs
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 00:23:03 +0000

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:34:03 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> The default composition rules are defined in lisp/composite.el
> (towards the second half of the file), and files in lisp/language/ add
> rules for specific languages.  (Those rules sometimes use character
> categories, and sometimes even invent new categories; see thai-util.el
> as an example.)  I believe you will see there the data that allows
> Emacs to perform CTL for Thai and Tibetan.
>
> My guess is that you will have to write a tai-tham.el file with
> similar data for Tai Tham, and then load it into Emacs.  All the rest
> should "just work".

I've done as you suggested and am getting what seem to be evidence of
communication, Emacs to m17n, for Tai Tham text.  Everything was broken
at the first attempt - infinite loop in Emacs, and I think m17n is
giving up on my instructions.  I'll just have to approach the full
design bit by bit. I aped burmese.el for tai-tham.el.

Having been forced to recompile emacs for myself, it will be less
awkward to put monitoring in.  I nearly missed the need to obtain the
m17n and libotf developer packages - it was only the display of
configuration options selected by configure that alerted me.

Richard.