Re: Emacs Slowdown

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Slowdown
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:44:14 -0400

> Apologies if I have not done the right thing here -- I've not written
> much C nor used gdb before.

Looks useful, thank you.  AFAICT in all those backtraces, Emacs is not
"busy" but it is simply waiting for input (a process monitor such as
"top" should be able to confirm that the Emacs process is not using any
significant amount of CPU at those times).

When Emacs feels slow, what happens if you keep typing without waiting
for Emacs's response?

> The last two backtraces are after it
> has become non-responsive, up till the kill.

The last two backtraces are actually different: Emacs is also waiting
but it's doing so elsewhere at a spot I find weird (it's actually inside
an X11 library call waiting for some input event (in "XimRead" the "im"
stands for "input method"), while in the middle of redrawing part of
Emacs's display).  I'm not sufficiently familiar with this code to go
much further with it, so please M-x report-emacs-bug and include the
last backtrace (the last 2 are identical, AFAICT).

        Stefan