RE: if vs. when vs. and: style question

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: if vs. when vs. and: style question
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 16:21:27 -0700 (PDT)

> > (Yeah, in the case of the euro sign, `M-x eu TAB RET' is not
> > a lot better than `C-x 8 RET euro SPC SPC RET'.  But in the
> > case of GREEK SMALL LETTER EPSILON WITH OXIA it might help
> > to have a dedicated key, should you happen to use that a lot.)

> works quite well if you don't use it very often.

OK.  And C-x 8 RET works the same as ESC x ucs-i TAB RET.  But I
guess your point is that the former is not an easy key sequence to
type.  (The latter is easy, but long.)  In that case, I'd suggest
binding it to something simpler.

> I shall miss the shorthand of ucs-i when ucs-insert is fully replaced
> by insert-char.

Just defalias it yourself: (defalias 'ucs-insert 'insert-char).

> One of the issues with using the full set of Unicode characters is that
> many are easily misread when there are no constraints.  Many Greek
> capitals look just like Roman capitals, and Latin 'o', Greek 'ο' and
> Cyrillic 'о' may be indistinguishable.  This is not a good idea for
> writing code.

+1 for that.