Re: sending mail using tls using Emacs under Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: sending mail using tls using Emacs under Windows
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:02:03 +0300

> From: Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
> Date: 27 Mar 2015 17:40:25 GMT
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> From: Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
> >> Date: 26 Mar 2015 20:57:48 GMT
> >>
> >> Sending via mail...
> >> gnutls.el: (err=[-64] Error while reading file.) boot: (:priority
> >> NORMAL :hostname smtp.gmail.com :loglevel 0 :min-prime-bits 256
> >> :trustfiles (/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt) :crlfiles nil :keylist nil
> >> :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :callbacks nil)
> >> gnutls-negotiate: GnuTLS error: #<process smtpmail>, -64
> >
> > Do you have a certificate bundle in /usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt?
>
> Since this is a native Windows Emacs, no such path exists.

Then you need to point GnuTLS to the correct file name on your system.

> In a separate reply, Sivaram suggested the setting:
>
>  (setq gnutls-trustfiles '("c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt"
>                            "c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt"))
>
> This works (thank you Sivaram), but of course it works because it
> depends on having Cygwin installed.

The bundle has nothing to do with Cygwin, you can install it
separately.

> That's not a problem for me, since I have Cygwin installed anyway,
> but I think there must be part of the puzzle missing if one is using
> only native Emacs and gnutls.

The development version of Emacs instructs GnuTLS to use the
certificates stored by Windows, so the separate bundle will no longer
be needed with that version.