Re: Debugger output: where to look for its explanation?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Debugger output: where to look for its explanation?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 15:03:54 +0200

On 2015-03-29, at 03:01, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> so I got this as a *Backtrace*:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (scan-error "Containing expression ends
>> prematurely" 2959 2959)
>
> No doubt someone will give you interesting details about the info
> in the backtrace.

I would hope!  It seems this is not very well documented in the Emacs
manual.

> FWIW, whenever I get that error message it's pretty clear what the
> problem is, because I was evaluating a sexp (so I know which one is
> problematic).  It's typically because I forgot a right paren somewhere.

Not really in this case -- I was writing a function which analysed the
code.  More precisely, given that the point was somewhere in a string,
the function decides whether it's a docstring or not.  (It is part of my
SLOC counting library.)  But I agree, it *was* clear where the problem
was.  But thanks anyway!

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski